Answered By: Archives Reference Staff
Last Updated: Jun 23, 2017     Views: 34

Start with HOLLIS

  • Most theses held by the Archives are cataloged in HOLLIS
  • Search by author, title, keyword, name of academic department and/or date with the phrase “honors theses”
  • As an example, you can consider trying a key word search in combination with the following words:
    • honors theses” economics
    • honors theses” “social studies” 2015
  • Make a note of the Archives call number found in “Locations & Availability” or in the headings of recent HOLLIS records
  • Examples of call numbers: HU 92.2010.50 or Accession 19419 or Accession 2016.437


Access to original paper copies

  • Undergraduate theses can be consulted in the Archives Reading Room (In-Library Use Only)
    • Contact the Archives reference staff at  with your request; provide call number and/or HOLLIS number.
    • “Locations & Availability” tab in HOLLIS will provide the Archives call number
    • Theses marked with location “OFFSITE STORAGE” need to be requested in advance
    • See Planning a Visit for more information

Ordering copies of undergraduate honors theses

  • Per University policy, copying of theses requires the written permission of the author for a period of five years after thesis is submitted
  • Copies of older undergraduate theses can be ordered from the Harvard Library Imaging Services department
    • Start the process by registering for an account with Imaging Services
    • When your account is in place, go to “Request for Photoduplication” under “New Requests” in the left column menu
    • Complete the online order form, including the call number and/or HOLLIS number fields
    • When you submit the online order form, Imaging Services staff will reply with cost and delivery information.
    • If you have any questions about this online ordering process, please contact Imaging Services staff directly