Skip to Questions

Ask an Archivist


How do I find an undergraduate honors thesis?

Last Updated: Mar 23, 2017  |  29 Views
Was this helpful? 0   0


Start with HOLLIS

  • Most theses held by the Archives are cataloged in HOLLIS
  • Search by author, title, keyword, name of academic department and/or date with the phrase “honors theses”
  • As an example, you can consider trying a key word search in combination with the following words:
    • honors theses” economics
    • honors theses” “social studies” 2015
  • Make a note of the Archives call number found in “Locations & Availability” or in the headings of recent HOLLIS records
  • Examples of call numbers: HU 92.2010.50 or Accession 19419 or Accession 2016.437


Access to original paper copies

  • Undergraduate theses can be consulted in the Archives Reading Room (In-Library Use Only)
    • Contact the Archives reference staff at  with your request; provide call number and/or HOLLIS number.
    • “Locations & Availability” tab in HOLLIS will provide the Archives call number
    • Theses marked with location “OFFSITE STORAGE” need to be requested in advance
    • See Planning a Visit for more information

Ordering copies of undergraduate honors theses

  • Per University policy, copying of theses requires the written permission of the author for a period of five years after thesis is submitted
  • Copies of older undergraduate theses can be ordered from the Harvard Library Imaging Services department
    • Start the process by registering for an account with Imaging Services
    • When your account is in place, go to “Request for Photoduplication” under “New Requests” in the left column menu
    • Complete the online order form, including the call number and/or HOLLIS number fields
    • When you submit the online order form, Imaging Services staff will reply with cost and delivery information.
    • If you have any questions about this online ordering process, please contact Imaging Services staff directly


Answered by Tim DriscollBookmark and Share

Other Answers / Comments (0)

    Planning a visit to the Archives? Please read Planning A Visit before submitting your question. Note that much of our material is stored off site, and some collections have restrictions on access. 

    Looking for photographs?  Start by checking HOLLIS and VIA. Note that image copying orders take a minimum of six weeks to process. 

    Interested in reading or copying a dissertation or undergraduate honors thesis? All dissertations, theses, and prize papers held by the Archives are catalogued in HOLLIS. Requests for digitized copies of dissertations and theses may be made by placing a “Request for Photoduplication” at

    Harvard University OfficesPlease email your request directly to

    Other ways to contact the Archives

    • a small icon


    • a small icon
      Phone: 617-495-2461

    Browse by Popular Topics

    Access  –  Borrow Direct  –  Directions  –  Dissertations and theses  –  Exams  –  HOLLIS  –  Hours  –  Interlibrary Loan  –  Online Resources  –  Prize papers  –  Visit  
    View All Topics
    © 2010 President & Fellows Harvard University. All Rights Reserved.
    Harvard Trademark Notice